WHO WE ARE
La Leche League Leaders are experienced parents who have breastfed or chestfed their own babies and who have been trained and accredited by La Leche League International to help parents and parents-to-be with all aspects of breastfeeding. They are available by phone and email whenever you have breastfeeding questions or concerns. Calling or emailing a Leader is FREE, as are our meetings.
LLL's mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
LLL USA DIVERSITY STATEMENT
La Leche League USA (LLL USA) is committed to diversity and inclusion. LLL USA supports all breastfeeding, chestfeeding, and human milk feeding families, inclusive of their race, ethnicity, immigration status, national origin, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, family structure, primary language, ability, or socio-economic status. LLL USA fosters diversity among its Leaders so as to incorporate a wide variety of perspectives and responsible decision-making.
The basic philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following statements:
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying breastfeeding relationship and reliable milk production.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced by the loving support of the baby’s father, a co-parent, a partner, and/or close family members who value the breastfeeding relationship.
- In the early years, the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, human milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of readiness for complementary foods, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the child outgrows the need.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
La Leche League is an international, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed.
Membership in La Leche League USA can be obtained from your local La Leche League Group. Membership fees help to support your local Group, LLL USA, and LLL International. The benefits of membership vary from Group to Group.